Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Match up results

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Monday, December 3, 2012

Match up results


obeisance - Bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame.
Synonyms: bowingbow
Usage: The Pope is made uncomfortable by such obeisance, as he once was a slave to the Nazis.
equanimity - The quality of being calm and even-tempered.
Synonyms: calmnesscomposure
Usage: Because she was prepared for the news, she was able to respond with equanimity.
firedrake - A fire-breathing dragon of Germanic mythology.
Synonyms: dragon
Usage: Unlike other firedrakes, the dragon in this story liked to recite poetry and was a connoisseur of fine wines.
caper - A playful leap or hop; a frivolous escapade or prank.
Synonyms: anticfrolicromp
Usage: The child's playfulness was amusing at first, but they soon grew tired of his capers.
singlestick - A stick used instead of a sword for fencing.
Synonyms: backswordfencing stick
Usage: He is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
Source: Longman dictionary

Image source: globaldebateblog.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment